What should I eat before Pilates?
If your session is 1.5-2 hours after eating, use your meal to fuel up. Avoid carbs including plant-based ones like potatoes, beans, and starchy vegetables. Instead, choose a high fat, lean quality protein, and some veggies.
Choose foods that won’t cause significant changes in your blood sugar i.e. avoid high sugary foods like snack bars, carbohydrates, and even many fruits.
– cultured coconut yogurt with organic blueberries & raw walnuts
– organic apple with walnut or sunflower seed butter
– organic DHA Eggs/Bacon and avocado
– leafy salad with quality protein (grilled chicken or fish, hardboiled egg), avocado, sprinkle of raw walnuts and a bit of EVO and balsamic to taste
– lettuce wrapped chicken or turkey “sandwich”
– veggie soup with turkey, chicken or beef
– piece of fish with veggies and lemon-butter sauce
If your session isn’t close to a meal, choose a fairly small amount of food (150-200 calories) to eat 30 min-1 hr before that will maintain a level blood sugar so you are able to maintain energy without feeling bloated and lethargic from having to digest a lot of food or process sugars.
– organic berries (lower on the glycemic index than other fruits)
– Handful of raw nuts (walnuts or pecans)
– 1 organic DHA egg
– celery and/or carrots with walnut or sunflower seed butter
– fresh or cold pressed green juice (Daily Greens is a great cold pressed option)
– green smoothie (choose a non-fruit juice base like water or hemp milk and use ½ a banana – less sugar! – instead of a full banana for your thickening agent)
Because of the emphasis Pilates places on the abdominal connection, you will be able to get the most out of your sessions by keeping your pre-Pilates meal light and easy to digest. You don’t want to feel bloated and gassy during your session.
All of this being said, we encourage you to get to know your body. We are all incredibly unique with differing food allergies/sensitivities, rates of digestion, and energy needs and it’s both helpful and empowering to learn how to best fuel your individual body. There are wonderful ways to learn how to do this and we encourage you to educate yourself.